Thursday, November 5, 2009

5-3-1 For Athletes by Tim Caron

I am absolutely obsessed with Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 program (2); I think it is a work of genius. The best part of it is the creativity it allows me as a coach/lifter to have. The rep range is perfect; I do not know of an athlete that doesn’t need to get better at 5s, 3s, and most importantly 1s. It is a great method for training; the problem is that I do not have athletes that are capable of performing this.

Here is my predicament: I work in a Division 1 setting with full scholarship athletes. I see them primarily most of the year, exception being holidays and intersession between semesters. All in all it works out to be 40-45 weeks every year. To break this down even further most of the year we are in either post season, pre season, and in season. I really only have an 8-10 week block of hard training. As much as I would like to say I have a good lifters, this is not enough time to say I can develop elite lifters.


Click here to read the rest of Tim Caron's article:

5-3-1 For Athletes

No comments:

Post a Comment